Liquid Sorbitol 70% Solution
Sorbitol, a polyol (sugar alcohol), is a bulk sweetener found in numerous food products. In addition to providing sweetness, it is an excellent humectant and texturizing agent. Sorbitol is about 60 percent as sweet as sucrose with one-third fewer calories. It has a smooth mouthfeel with a sweet, cool and pleasant taste. It is non-cariogenic and may be useful to people with diabetes. Sorbitol has been safely used in processed foods for almost half a century. It is also used in other products, such as pharmaceuticals and cosmetics.
- In sugar free candy manufacture, sorbitol finds it application as a sugar free reduced calorie sweetener. It improves the candy’s softness and chewy texture.
- In sugar free ice cream, it is usually used to provide sweetness, impart body and texture.
- In Diabetic fruit jam and peanut butter, sorbitol is used as a humectants to reduce dryness and improve spread ability.
- Textile and Leather Application:Sorbitol is usually used as a dispensing agent, humectant/bodying agent, and sequestering agent. It is used as a color stabilizer in textile printing, as a humectant in textile sizing, and as a softener in finishing.
- Emulsion Products:Sorbitol retards the loss of water by evaporation from oil in oil/water emulsions.
- Tobacco Industry:Sorbitol is used to contribute to the flavour of chewing tobacco and used as humectant and conditioner
- Adhesives Applications:The characteristics of sorbitol that it neither loses nor absorbs any appreciable quantity of water increases the viscosity of the glues composition, and its non-volatility are an advantage in adhesive applications.
- Pharmaceuticals Industry:As a good humectant and plasticizer sorbitol is usually used in emulsion ointments and in gelatine capsules. It is also finds uses in pharmaceutical syrups where it’s stability, non-cariogenicity and viscosity are an advantage. Sorbitol is also used medically in culture mediums to distinguish between various strains of bacteria such as E coli.
- Others IndustriesSorbitol is used to make polyurethane foams with specific strength and absorbency which finds uses in, for instance, vehicle dashboards. It is also used as a chelator in metal working and is used in processes to anodize aluminum
|Non–Crystallizing Sorbitol||Crystallizing Sorbitol|
|Description||A clean colourless viscous liquid||A clear colourless viscous liquid|
|Taste Specific gravity at 25°C||Mild Sweet1.285 min.||Mild Sweet 1.290 min|
|Refractive Index at 20°C||1.455 to 1.465||1.457 to 1.462|
|Acidity Or||*NMT 0.2 ml of 0.01 M Naoh or
NMT 0.3 ml of 0.01M
HCL Solution as per specified test in I.P
|*NLT 12.8ml of 0.05M Sodium thiosulphate solution should be consumed as per specified test in I.P|
|Optical Rotation||+1.5° to +3.5° (as per specified test in I.P.)||0° to +1.5° (as per specified test in I.P.)|
|Clarity & Colour||Clear and colourless||Clean and colourless|
|Arsenic||NMT 2 ppm||NMT 2ppm|
|Heavy Metals||NMT 10 ppm||NMT 10 PPM|
|Chloride||NMT 50 ppm||NMT 50 ppm|
|Sulphate||NMT 125 ppm||NMT 125 ppm|
|Nickel||NMT 1 ppm||NMT 1 ppm|
|Sulphated Ash||NMT 0.1% W/W||NMT 0.1% W/W|
|Solid Matter||68% to 72% W/W||69% to 71% W/W|
|Polyols||NLT 62% W/W As D-Sorbitol
*NMT = NOT MORE THAN
|68% to 72% W/W As D- Sorbitol
*NLT = NOT LESS THAN
Sorbitol 70% (IP GRADE):
Shelf life: 3 years from Production Date
|DESCRIPTION||A clear colourless to faintly yellow viscous liquid|
|SPECIFIC GRAVITY AT 25°C||1.285 MIN|
|REFRACTIVE INDEX AT 20°C||1.455 TO 1.465|
|ACIDITY OR ALKALINITY||NMT 0.2ml of 0.01M NaOH or NMT 0.3ml of 0.01M HCL Solution as per specified test in I.P.|
|REDUCING SUGAR||0.2% Max|
|OPTICAL ROTATION||+1.5° TO +3.5° (as per specified test in I.P.)|
|CLARITY & COLOR||10% solution should be clear and colourless|
|HEAVY METALS||NMT 10ppm|
|RESIDUE ON IGNITION||MT 0.1% W/W|
|SOLID MATTER||68% TO 72%W/W|
|POLYOLS (Total Alcohols)||NLT 62%W/W (Calculated as D-GLUCITOL)|
In 300 kg HM HDPE barrels, 1 MT IBC and in ISO Tanks